Thursday, September 9, 2010

Arizona








I have been in Arizona for a couple of days now. I am running every morning and really enjoying it. The first night we were here, Jeff killed 2 rattlesnakes on the walk right in front of our door. (In the picture to the left) It has made me be a little more cautious and aware than I may have been on my runs. You never know when you might run into something you don't want to see. The first day I found this really cool running trail. (See the pictures below) I kept hearing the rattling sound and wondered if it was snakes or what. It turned out that it was some kind of bird that is pretty good at imitating the sound of a rattle snake. When I mentioned it to Jeff he said that he has heard them too. We decided it must be some type of protection thing they have developed. I have seen many little cotton tails on my runs but they run away too fast for me to be able to get a picture. Today I saw a couple of road runners. They didn't move away to fast the capture them with my phone camera but even though I zoomed in they are very hard to see in the picture. They are in the picture that looks like it is just a picture of the parking lot. There are many cacti here. The others are pictures of the trail and the view from the trail. The last is a picture of a prickly pear. They look really pretty with their pink fruit. This is the end of the rainy season. We had a major downpour on Tuesday. It was pretty cool, as the rain came down in buckets and all the little dry gullies fill up. My vacation is going way too fast, but I'm enjoying my stay while I'm here.





















2 comments:

  1. Tell him to chill out a bit with the killing the wildlife. It really isn't making you any more safe to kill things that are passing through ... they don't live near your doorstep. This time of year they are out looking for food and mates, and travel long distances. If you just went back inside, you'd never see it again.

    Do you have any larger photos of the snakes? They may not even be rattlesnakes, as is the case with many of the folks who kill whatever snake they see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on killing the rattlesnakes, Jeff! If you can, kill some more...and while you're at it, see if you can knock off a couple of scorpions and maybe a tarantula or two!!!

    As far as the comment above from "Bryan", I wouldn't give it much thought. You could have waited for the second snake to crawl off the doorstep, before you took your luggage inside...or you could have told your wife, your mother, and grandmother to stay inside while you waited outside for the snake to slither off, or you could have done what you did. I'd do the latter. Maybe you should box up the heads of the two rattlers you killed and mail them to him to get his professional opinion on whether or not they're actually rattlesnakes...or you could just send him the rattles and get his opinion on whether they came off a rattlesnake, or maybe a gopher snake hijacked them from a passing rattlesnake in hopes that it could pass itself off as it's venomous counterpart. Kill them all (just don't get bitten)!

    Who are you, Bryan? Bunny hugger? Tree hugger? PETA member? Sierra Clubber? Combination of all of the preceding? You have your profile blocked...are you some kind of blog stalker that doesn't want to give out any information? Since you're commenting on our blog please let us know.

    ReplyDelete